So last year, we had a micro teaching class (well we have it almost every year haha but last year was more specific on lesson plan). I have been dying to upload our activities in my classes and found this one photo of our activity last year. If and only I am as determined as those people on Pinterest, I surely have a lot to share !
We focused on the topic 'How To Write a Process & Procedure Essay' last time... and what we did was, we actually brought the real ingredients to the class and taught them on how to make Vietnamese Spring Rolls live.
I don't wanna bore you with the hum drum part of how we conducted the lesson but here goes, our own recipe of the rolls and ah yes, I made our own signature sauce .
Ingredients for one roll ( frankly, you can just put the amount of the ingredients up to your liking. Sorry la. Saya melayu. Main agak je haha. Takda measurement) :
Vermicelli Noodles (hydrated/boiled until el dente)
Leaves Lettuce (1 or 2 leaves per rolls)
Mint ( no need to chop. Put a few leaves )
Sliced Carrots (1.5 tbspoon)
Chopped Coriander/Cilantro (2 teaspoons)
Chopped Basil (2 teaspoons)
Boiled Prawns (3 or 2 slices per rolls)
A few Rice Paper
1 or 2 dollops of Aioli (Can buy from the stores but we made our own. I will share below just in case) - aioli will act like a jam, so if you would like to have more savory taste in your rolls, you may put extra aioli :)
Aioli Recipe :
Into 2 tbspoon of mayonnaise , put these : a garlic clove ( finely chopped), sprinkle some salt and grounded black pepper, and squeeze a lime juice and sprinkle some of the mint
Steps for Rolls:
- Boiled your prawns (with shells on) on the stove until its is cooked. Do not throw away the prawn water as we can use it later.
- Slice the prawn into half , then you can peel of the shell and the dirt.
- Wash your greens and start preparing a bowl of warm water.
- With your warm water ready, dip the rice paper into it for 1 second and gently lay it on a flat surface.
- In a row across the centre, put down your sliced prawns first, followed by lettuce and hydrated vermicelli noodles on top of the rice paper.
- Spread a dollop of aioli, place the mint, carrot and cilantro.
- Fold the corners (the two sides) inwards and roll from the bottom over the ingredients. Make sure to be super gentle as you don't want to break the rice paper.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
You may refer this video on how to roll your rice paper :
Well , some people like to have the rolls with the peanut butter sauce but I don't really like peanut butter haha so here's another way to make the sauce ...
Ingredients for dipping sauce :
1 cup of boiled prawn-water from before
3 teaspoons of fish sauce (my ultimate secret ingredient haha)
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 spoon of sugar
5 nicely chopped chilli
Steps for sauce
- Reheat your prawn water on the stove and add the sugar.
- Pour the garlic , chilli and the fish sauce.
- Add sugar according to the taste.
- You may want to add some finely chopped shallot but it is not obligated to.
- Turn off the fire and squeeze your limes.
- There is no harm in modifying the sauce according to your taste :)
Okay I guess that's all for the time being. Will try my best to post more recipes but knowing my inability to write down specific amount of ingredients, I don't think I'll be able to do so quite often 😂😂😂 This is why you don't ask a Malay girl about recipe. We like to 'agak-agak je' haha