Thursday, 16 October 2014

First experience being a teacher


Teachers-Students meeting - the day that I've been looking forward and nervous about . 
Me as one of the teachers . Mua ha ha ha . Finally, the day had came ! 

We had been planning for this program for weeks . If you had been following my posts on our "Project Work in TESOL" on Facebook , than you would know the ups and downs of our proposal T_T 


Anyway , I was super nervous even before meeting the students . I had no confidence and was very afraid that the students will be annoyed/bored with me . I am no expert with kids ! *tears up*

When I asked the other group (they went to SK Bukit Gelugor , we went to SK Sungai Gelugor) , 
"So how was it going ?"
"It was tiring but it's fun !
"Tiring ?!" Gahhhhh . Nervous levels up.
"Hemm , the kids were just too excited." 
"Are they hyper ?" brain starts imagining all of the impossible probability . 
...............................................

And yesterday , Shila drove us to the school . 

Ngoi
Eka
Mayra
Shila
and me 
*Jasmeen couldn't make it due to her packed schedule .

5 teachers , not so ready to meet the kids yet they still wore the 'nonchalant masks' and plastered the Colgate smiles on the face. These future teachers then calmly entered through the UNLOCKED small gates beside the school , skipping the guards at the main gate. (I tell you , this is totally not our fault. Just that the school security system was too low . Lol . hahaha . )

And Cikgu Zubaidah greeted us as soon as we arrived, before calling her students to assemble at the open-hall . 

Okay . At least the kids look nice even some of them are taller than me .

She briefed about the kids shortly, I barely payed my attention . My eyes were transfixed to her , yes . And I even nodded enthusiastically like I understood everything. But the truth was , I was battling with myself to calm down ! For God sake , my heart pummeled crazily as if I just passed the '5 kilometer' checkpoint. She just kept on talking and I just pretended to listen. 

And before I knew it ,

She suddenly gave the kids to us !

cehhh looking all nice and obedient.
Wait until you know them -_-

Gulp ! Gulp ! Gulp !
My heart couldn't stop racing . Okay Anis you can do this . Act calm , act calm .

Hence, we introduced ourselves and Ngoi started lecturing about our programs . The objectives , how to carry this out , the tentatives and bla bla bla .
Done with the humdrum part , we kicked off with the Ice-Breaking session ; with a few games that we had specially prepared for the kids to ease the tenses (mainly our tense hahaha) , it went quite well I can say .



Ngoi was briefing at the front .
Ahah ! I can see two kids were fooling around at the back .
*cracking my knuckles*




"WHO  LOVE  TEACHER  ANIS ?!" hahahhhha


Half an hour later , we were divided into groups and I chose to be in Group 4 :)


"Teacher , let's just stay here."
Now they were nailed to their spots , reluctant to move . Yeah my students is that fab. They can instruct their teachers .


We just sat in a circle and ,
"Now who want to introduce their selves first ?"
In a flash, everybody started talking ... or .... exactly screaming and shouting 

"3 Zul teacher !"
"No need lah , teacher !"
"What should we tell ?!"
"Teacher, me ! I am ...!
"Teacher, start from your left !"
"Teacher, ladies first!"
"Can I go to the toilet ?"

Oookay . Should have seen that coming . Never thought that they could be that loud .

I quickly stood up and introduced myself instead. Just to make them stop talking . hahaha .
And of course they asked me loads of questions which kinda remind me of my old days when the practical teachers came into our class . Her age ... is she single or not ... where is she from ...  favourite foods... hobbies ... ambition ...and so many other things .
And the 'taaruf' session passed by without me realizing how fast time flew. 


"Okay . So who want to participate in the drama ? You know , just so that I can find suitable scripts.
And I saw 6 hands in front of me . I was quite frustrated cos not many of them wanna join . Hemm . Well at least , the 6 were very interested.

So we discussed about the genres, props and storyline. Some wanted horror , some wanted comedy and some wanted mysterious . Yeah , whatever kids.  Do as you wish . I'm invisible here . Lol.
Although I was the one who's supposed to be in charge , the kids seemed like they wanted to take control of everything. Haha . And I willingly let them decide everything .

Just to give the little monsters some ideas for the drama and props , I then showed them some videos from Youtube . *Please don't imagine them watching the videos calmly and quietly because all they did was pushing each other while mouths busily asking me tons of questions.* *Sigh* *Sigh* *Sigh*

After what seemed like ages , I popped out the question again , 
"Now that you understand what drama is , let me see how many of you want to join me ."

And they all raised their hands ! ALL OF  THEM ! I was speechless and at the same time , blur. 

At that point , I was actually have no idea about what to do . I supposed to attend the group discussion , the night before but I was so busy helping Nana with her WUS expo project (yeah we barely slept that night) so I couldn't make it . They discussed about the games and I had no idea  what to play with the kids . 

Anyway , I asked them to show their talent if they are serious to do this thing . hahahah . So I gave them some characters and did the audition . 

And the trickiest part came . All of them came at once and drown me with questions . Again.

"Teacher , I cannot be a pondan (sissy) ! I don't know,"
"Let him be the Grandpa teacher !"
"How to be an ustaz teacher ? What to do ?"  the most naughty one , I gave him an ustaz role haha
"Teacher , the 3 Zul can be toyol teacher ! "
"Teacher can you hold this for me ?"
"What if I combine(?) with him teacher ?"
"Am I the bad friend or the good friend?

ALL AT ONCE ! 
And I just nodded to every questions -_____-' I was solemnly dizzy and might puke anytime.

But after a few screaming and yelling , they finally calmed down , and the so-called audition began.

They were good , I can tell.
The girls would giggle sometimes (I wonder why haha) but the boys , they carried their characters as I asked them to. Some of them attempted jokes and we would laugh . And some of them would suddenly come and be the extras. Well I had fun :) thanks to their endeavor . 
As we were having fun, Shila came and told me that I only have ten minutes left . Luckily that thing finished just on time. Yet I was reluctant to leave.
I sat on my chair lazily as they told me about the nicknames of each people . He's Chipmunk, this one Gajah , that one Toyol , she's Meja and so many other names I couldn't recall . We gossiped about their crushes and all , then I saw that the other groups were leaving.

"God . I have to leave now. My prince is coming !"  As I was about to stand up and leave , they grabbed me -_-

"Teacher , facebook ?"
"Teacher , can I have your phone number ?"

And I wrote down on two pieces of paper . One for the girls and one for the boys . 

"Share this with your friends. Whoever get this don't keep it to yourselves,
as I waved the paper in front of them . Their hands were ready to grab the paper anytime soon, with eyes locked on my hand-movement .
"I don't want ...
and before I could finish my sentence , pooof the papers were gone  -_- . Kids nowadays . Hello ... I'm still talking here .

Again , I was about to leave when some students from other group came and handed me pieces of paper for me to jot down my FB and phone number. 

Well , what else can I say . 


I'm famous ! 

#fliphijab #flipjubah #flipkening

bahahahahah



Eka came to tell me that we're about to leave but many of them were still waiting...
I'm touched *cries*


"Make sure to come this Friday. I know that you've finished UPSR but 
I'm coming again this Friday so we can start practicing. Okay ? "

And with that , I left them. They really made me feel needed; with their boisterous mouths asking this and that . Thanks guys . I hope we can work well as a team .
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment